Digitruck Project ManagerPosted by: bettertomorrowjobs | Posted on: May 1, 2021
Website Close the gap
Close the Gap believes that access to digital solutions is a key enabler to empower people; to improve their lives and realize their full potential. Since 2004, Close the Gap has provided over 6,000 social and educational projects in 50 countries with high-quality refurbished ICT-equipment, acting as an end-to-end logistics manager that coordinates the many partners active in the supply chain to ensure the ICT-projects are implemented successfully. This way Close the Gap helps bridge the digital divide that still exists between the developing and developed world.
In 2014 Close the Gap started the Digitruck project to also reach the ones that are not connected to the electricity grid or the internet. The Digitruck is a shipping container that is refurbished into a modern ICT-classroom, powered on solar energy. It can serve as a stationary ICT-classroom or travel around to cover large, underserved areas connecting communities to the digital world.
The role of Close the Gap in the Digitruck project involves bringing the different partners together, monitoring the construction and taking care of the overall project coordination. A local partner runs an educational (digital skills) program to target groups varying from young to old and educated to uneducated.
Since 2014 there have been 8 Digitrucks deployed, mainly in Africa (for a full list and more details on the project please visit the Close the Gap website via the following link: https://www.close-the-gap.org/what-we-do/Digitruck). As the demand for this solution is growing rapidly in the last two years, Close the Gap Kenya has decided to strengthen the team with an additional Project Manager who will be responsible for running various African Digitruck projects at the same time. The project manager will be based in the Close the Gap Hub in Mombasa and will report to the Deputy CEO and Digitruck Project Coordinator.
KEY TASKS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assist the Project Coordinator in business development efforts for new Digitruck projects in Africa; approaching potential funders, applying for subsidies and grants, working • out alternative sources of income (such as lease-structures or event-based services) and promoting the project at events.
• Project management of current and new Digitruck projects in Kenya, Ethiopia and Zambia; budget monitoring, assisting the educational partner in reporting and M&E, arranging repairs and aftercare of the installation.
• Project monitoring of independently operating Digitruck projects in Congo, Tanzania and South-Africa and creating a Digitruck community-platform
• Project management of the construction and transport of new Digitrucks
• Innovating and optimizing current designs (in cooperation with the manufacturer) to the needs of the different stakeholders
• Relationship management with sponsors/clients
• Building on a sustainable relationship with the manufacturer(s), solar providers and other suppliers
• Ability to feel the needs of different stakeholders
• Entrepreneurial mindset
• Transparent and clear communicator & being able to convince and inspire
• Organized worker
• Ability to operate individually without instructions
• Supporter of the ‘no aid but trade’ philosophy
• Drive to excel in a small but diverse international team
• Willingness to travel locally and internationally for short periods
• Based in the coastal region or willingness to move
• Familiar with Project Management structures (Initiating, Planning, Executing, Monitoring and Controlling)
• Computer literacy and knowledge of personal computers and software packages such as MSWord, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Access.
• Knowledge of the development sector in Africa
• Good oral and written communication and presentation skills
• Basic understanding of solar energy and ICT systems
• Knowledge of budgeting and strategic financial planning is an advantage
WHAT THE ORGANISATION OFFERS
• Market conform salary based on relevant experience
• NSSF and NHIF benefits, private health insurance after 3 months’ probation
• Compensation of work related travel costs
• Fixed one year contract on a recurring basis –starting date as soon as possible
• Diploma in Project Management, Development Studies, Business Studies or other relevant studies
• Oral and written fluency in English, knowledge of French is an advantage
How to apply
Do you feel triggered to start working in an exciting international environment with plenty of opportunity to grow? Send your resume and a motivation letter (max 1 page) to Mr. Bram Over at email@example.com before the 7th of May 2021. Interviews will be held in the week of the 10th of May 2021 in the Close the Gap Hub in Mombasa.
We are a proud Equal Employment Opportunity employer; we’re committed to creating an equitable, diverse and inclusive work space regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status. We’re dedicated to creating an environment that celebrates and embraces individuals who reflect the diversity of the world we live in. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org